Sunday 20 February 2011

6 weeks 2 days pregnant - heartbeat

What a night!

After a steak supper and watching a film (the reader) with dh I went to bed about 10.00 last night. 

At 4am in the morning I was up, with my knees gripped to my chest, rocking and trying to ease the pain in my stomach.  I was in agony.  I was hot, sweating and nothing I could do could relieve the pain.  At some point in the night I managed to get back to sleep but when I woke up the discomfort continued.  DH tried to hug me in the morning but I couldnt bear to be touched by him or by anything.

DH left for work about 9am and I sat on the sofa nursing my stomach.  I had to eat something to take my tablets but the ache continued until it was even in my legs.  After my m/c I was in panic.  It wasnt quite burning like last time but it felt it was almost there. 

I rang the local Accident and Emergency Departments and found that St Thomas's was open on a Sunday.  I spoke to a nurse and she said that they would see me.  So I made my way up.  By the time I arrived they had just about closed their morning surgery.  They took my blood pressure and a urine sample and I was told to grab something to eat and come back at two.  The moving around and the journey to the hospital had eased much of the pain so Iwas happy enough to wait.  I went to the canteen and ordered a jacket potato and cheese.  As soon as I started eating the pain came back in my right side. 

Im thinking at this point its digestive.  Could I have gone to A&E with trapped wind?

I go back to the unit for my appointment.  The A&E clinic is not like my regular clinic.  They dont take photos and you dont have a screen.  So Im lying on the bed and the nurse says, 'theres only one, its 5.6mm long and there is a heartbeat.'  I couldnt believe what my ears had just heard and I yelped and immediately began to cry.  The nurse went on to say she couldnt see anything wrong and asked me if I wanted to look.  All this time Im crying but I pulled myself together and she turned the screen for a second or two, but in that short time I could see (what looked to me) a perfect blob with a flicker of a heartbeat.  I couldnt believe it.  She went off to see the consultant to see if I should cancel my scheduled appointment on Thursday but he told her I still should go.  Im pleased about that as I want the photo, I want dh to see and I want 5 minutes to see my baby myself.

I cant believe it.  After all these years of trying.  'Huston, we have a heartbeat.'  Im overwhelmed. 

Not twins then but a beautiful flickering blob.

When dh came home I showed him the report and he had a tear in his eye too. 

Its amazing. 

Im tired; lost so much sleep last night and the stress that went with the pain and the memories

Symptoms = tummyache (trapped wind?), swollen stomach, reduced breast tenderness (only when tweaked hard by me)

No comments:

Post a Comment