Saturday 28 May 2011

20 weeks pregnant - scan and doppler scan

I had my 20 week scan yesterday.  It wasnt the best scan experience as the patient screen was broken so I could only catch glimpses by doing crunches.  I thought it was more important that she measured accurately so I didnt press to see.

The doppler scan showed a notch on one side of the umbilical cord.  This of course corresponds with my low papp-a score at the 12 week scan.  Apparently those with low hcg as well have an even higher risk of low birth weight, fetal death, premature babies.  It never stops does it... the worry, the problems.  Of course I expected this was the case but now it feels very frightening.  I will ring the midwife on Tuesday (its bank holiday here on Monday) and see if I can move my appointment forward.  I want someone to explain the results.  The paperwork puts me in the lowest percentile for growth for the biparietal diameter (this is the lowest), the head circumference and the femur length.  Only the abdominal circumference is just above the average line.  The sonographer didnt say this was small but it seems apparent to me.  I found a site where I could enter these figures and it showed that I am on average 19weeks, a week behind where I should be. 

The sonographer found no soft markers for downs so we are good to our word and will not have an invasive test.  She said only 50% of babies with down syndrome show any markers and our odds are unchanged. 

In my heart i have always felt that the baby wouldnt have ds but would would be born early and small. 

Hang in there my lovely and take all that you can take from me.

It hasnt helped that I have a craving for licorice and looked it up to find that it should be avoided in pregnancy.  That it leads to premature birth and low birth weight!!!!  I have of course stopped taking it but I just hope I havent done any damage. 

We were told again that it was a girl - yes!  And we have another scan in 4 weeks.  Do I stop worryng till then?

The baby wasnt very active at the scan which has worried me more.  My tummy still hasnt drawn any attention at work (although I am wearing drapping clothes).

Oh, this is a bumpy ride.

Symptoms = indigestion, growing bbs, sore nipples, stetched stomach, wind

No comments:

Post a Comment