Sunday 10 July 2011

26 weeks 2 days pregnant - gestational diabetes

Can you believe Ive now got gestational diabetes.  On my last consultant scan I had gloucose in my urine.  I had a follow-up blood test which found a level of 9.  My fasting score is in normal range which confirms that it is gestational rather than regular diabetes.  It explains my headaches and total weariness - those 3 hour naps.

Since my diagnosis I have spent 2 days at the hospital.  1 full day, when I arrived at 8.40 after fasting since 10pm the previous night.  My blood was then tested.  I had to drink 2 and half glasses of flat lucazade, wait for 2 hours then my blood was tested again.  The results confirmed it as gestational diabetes.  After which I was told the bad news by the nurse.  I cried.  Its just another thing.  Then I saw the dietican.  She went through my current diet and then advised me of the things I need to cut.

I need to cut out fizzy drinks (I could drink diet drinks but I feel very stongly about the sweetners that are included in diet drinks so I wont), not too much fruit, no fruit juice, reduce carbs, no treats (ice cream, cakes, chocolate etc - I have just developed a taste for these) and sugar and sugary sweets (my saving grace when I feel sick).

Food feels very boring now.  My best response to a meal has been after a three egg omlulet with mushrooms and tomatoes.  Of course because there were no carbs. 

I have to prick my finger 4 times a day.  When I wake in the morning and then 2 hours after every meal. I hate doing it and although I can do the early tests, as the day progresses I lose courage. 

On Tuesday, I have a scan.  Its going to be a tricky meeting as I need to challenge them about the results I got from them and the contradictory second opinion, including the gender! 

Symptoms = baby moving most day (can be quiet on some days, lucky I have my fetal monitor), headaches, tiredness

No comments:

Post a Comment